AIX & NRPE v2.5.1

Steven Fishback fishback at email.unc.edu
Mon Jun 11 21:16:13 CEST 2007

Nagios v2.5 with NRPE plug-in v2.5.1 on AIX v5.3 (ppc 64 processor)

I've seen this thread before concerning AIX and NRPE but no resolution
or good suggestions as to what's going on.

If I compile with openssl 0.9.7l-1 I get the "SSL handshaking" error.
If I compile without openssl enabled I get the "Response packet had
invalid CRC32" error.
I've done all the normal FAQ checks.
My /etc/services I have:
   nrpe            5666/tcp        # NRPE
My /etc/inetd.conf I have:
  nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait  nagios /usr/sbin/nrpe -c /etc/nrpe.cfg
--inetd

For testing purposes I have no tcp wrappers and SSL is not enabled.

Logged into the local host:

$ /usr/bin/telnet localhost 5666
Trying...
Connected to localhost.localdomain.
Escape character is '^]'.

NRPE - Nagios Remote Plugin Executor
Copyright (c) 1999-2006 Ethan Galstad (nagios at nagios.org)
Version: 2.5.1
Last Modified: 04-09-2006
License: GPL v2 with exemptions (-l for more info)

** POSSIBLE SECURITY RISK - TCP WRAPPERS ARE NOT AVAILABLE!  **
**      Read the NRPE SECURITY file for more information     **

Usage: nrpe [-n] -c <config_file> <mode>

-n            = Do not use SSL
<config_file> = Name of config file to use
<mode>        = One of the following two operating modes:
  -i          =    Run as a service under inetd or xinetd
  -d          =    Run as a standalone daemon

Connection closed.

$ /opt/local/bin/check_nrpe -H localhost
CHECK_NRPE: Response packet had invalid CRC32.

$ /opt/local/bin/check_nrpe -H localhost -p 5666 -n
CHECK_NRPE: Response packet had invalid CRC32.

Any idea as to the problem?

--
Steven Fishback
ITS Research Computing, Systems Programmer