Problems with distributed setup, master overload?

Jeffrey Lensen jeffrey at hyves.nl
Sun Jun 10 09:28:22 CEST 2007

Hello all,

I recently extend our distributed Nagios setup of 1 master and 2
distributed slaves (in which the master also had a lot of checks
running), to 1 master and 5 distributed slaves (in which the master does
no checking at all, except for host checks).

This setup had 556 hosts and roughly 7000 service checks. Ever since I
modified this setup, the Nagios master host has been giving me problems.

The symptoms:
- When starting both Nagios and NSCA, I see NSCA accepting checks in my
logfiles, but none get processed by Nagios.
- After a few minutes NSCA processes are starting to build up,
increasing with 5-10 processes per second. In a few minutes it reaches a
few thousand processes and the machine starts hanging.
- Sometimes the number of Nagios processes start increasing, instead of
the NSCA processes. Same result, the machine starts hanging.

I have tried versions 2.5, 2.7, 2.8 and 2.9 of Nagios and versions 2.5
and 2.7.1  of NSCA, but none made the problems go away.

The config of NSCA:
pid_file=/var/run/nsca.pid
server_port=5667
nsca_user=nagios
nsca_group=nagios
debug=1
command_file=/var/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd
alternate_dump_file=/var/nagios/rw/nsca.dump
aggregate_writes=0
append_to_file=0
max_packet_age=30
decryption_method=1

Pretty basic. I have also experimented abit with append_to_file and
aggregate_writes, but no change.

Relevant nagios.cfg options:
check_external_commands=1
command_check_interval=-1 (has been experimented with, no changes)
command_file=/var/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd
service_reaper_frequency=10
accept_passive_service_checks=1
check_service_freshness=1

If there is anything else you'd like to know, let me know.

I'm hoping someone can help me out here. Thanks.

- Jeffrey