notification inheritance issue

munroes at cawinet.com munroes at cawinet.com
Fri Jun 8 16:01:20 CEST 2007

I have 30 or so hosts defined using 2 layers of inheritance.  The parent
template is:

# Generic host definition template - This is NOT a real host, just a
template!

define host{
        name                            generic-host    ; The name of this
host template
        notifications_enabled           1       ; Host notifications are
enabled
        event_handler_enabled           1       ; Host event handler is
enabled
        flap_detection_enabled          1       ; Flap detection is enabled
        failure_prediction_enabled      1       ; Failure prediction is
enabled
        process_perf_data               1       ; Process performance data
        retain_status_information       1       ; Retain status information
acro ss program restarts
        retain_nonstatus_information    1       ; Retain non-status
information across program restarts
                check_command                   check-host-alive
                max_check_attempts              10
                notification_interval           0
                notification_period             24x7
                notification_options            d,u,r
                contact_groups                  admins
        register                        0       ; DONT REGISTER THIS
DEFINITION - ITS NOT A REAL HOST, JUST A TEMPLATE!

----------------------------------
Then I defined a more specific template:

#Parent Class that all objects will inherit from
define host {
        host_name               58ants
        check_command           check-host-alive
        notification_options    d,u,r
        notification_period     never
        max_check_attempts      8
        hostgroups              Customers58
        name                    58ant
        use                     generic-host
        register                0
        }

by my calculations, I should not be receiving any notifications for hosts
using this template.  But I am and I don't know why.  I'm using nagios2 on
a debian etch system by the way.