Host/Ping check and Nagios performance.

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Thu Jun 7 18:01:17 CEST 2007

You cannot change it with Nagios 2 and its necessary behavior if you
perform host checks. The only alternative is to not perform host checks
at all but the you lose network outage detection, suppression of
multiple notifications of service on down hosts and some other things
that may or may not matter to you. The links below provide some
understanding and suggestions. We do not use host checks here at all.

> With the large number of service checks I'm running (1300+) whenever a
> host goes down (or in some cases just stops answering ICMP) it kills
> performance on the Nagios server.

The Host Checks section of
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/checkscheduling.html and 7, 8 and
9 of http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/tuning.html