Compiliong Nagios on HPUX 11

erkdog at fiftypounds.com erkdog at fiftypounds.com
Wed Jun 6 19:59:33 CEST 2007

Unfortunately all the archives appear to be inaccessible to me.
Otherwise I would have
searched.  Since I cannot access either of them I will proceed with my
specific issue.

I am attempting to compile Nagios 2.9 on an HP-UX 11 machine.

I began working on this and was informed that one of the problems was
that GCC 3 was not
installed on HP-UX.

I proceeded to get a working binary installation of GCC 3.0.1 installed.

I have confirmed that GCC 3.0.1 indeed works by compiling and using a
simple program
(datapipe.c).

I was confused by the report that GCC 3 was required to compile Nagios
on HP-UX and that
this existed in the documentation... As far as I've seen the
documentation mentions only,
"a c compiler" as necessary.  Furthermore GCC 3 is rather old and
buggy.  Furthermore
when a certain version of something is required, usually it's newer
counterpart (GCC 4 in
this case) will also work... anyway...

HP-UX is so proprietary and bare when it comes to GNU/OpenSource software it's
mindboggling why anyone would use it, but that's neither here nor there.

When I attempt to compile at this point I do the following:

./configure

It executes properly.

make all.

I get an error along the lines of it being unable to do something with
../include/filename

I apologize for not providing more complete information at this point.
However, I am not
at my home computer.  I can provide additional information such as
exact output later
this evening.

I am unable to find any documentation anywhere about what needs to be
done to get Nagios
compiled from source on HP-UX 11.

Does anyone know where I can find such information?

Thanks,
Matt