No recovery alert for URL check error- Temporary failure in name resolution

richard martin w2kask at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 6 08:59:44 CEST 2007

Hi.. We are monitoring our URL using nagios, when there is a problem with the URL, we will get the
problem alert email and when it recover,we get the recovery email too.  But for one particular
problem alert, we always don't get the recovery email.  I checked on the maillog , it doesn't have
at all.  Any one know why ?

***** Nagios  *****

Notification Type: PROBLEM

Service: TravelTools CMS APAPP1
Host: YY-URL-CHECK
Address: YY-URL-CHECK
State: CRITICAL

Date/Time: Tue Jun 5 19:58:33 SGT 2007

Additional Info:

Temporary failure in name resolution

The URL nagios config as below

define service{
        use                             generic-service         ; Name of service template to use

        host_name                       YY-URL-CHECK
        service_description             TravelTools XX APP1
        is_volatile                     0
        check_period                    24x7
        max_check_attempts              3
        normal_check_interval           5
        retry_check_interval            5
        contact_groups                  J2EE-Support,Administrators2,Developers_sms,Singtel-Expan
        notification_interval           15
        notification_period             24x7
        notification_options            w,u,c,r
        check_command                   "/usr/lib/nagios/plugins/check_http -H
wsweb1-net12-18.xxx.com -u "http://wsweb1-net
12-18.xxx.com/web/applns/sg/traveltools/index.ctl" -w 90 -c 120 -f follow"
        }