SMS Notifications - Incomplete Output onHostNotification

Stover, Beth BStover at NorcalMutual.com
Tue Jun 5 22:35:57 CEST 2007

You are correct.  I had never added the host-notify-by-sms to my contact
entry.

Thanks for your help!

Beth Stover
Systems Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Marc
Powell
Sent: Tuesday, June 05, 2007 1:07 PM
To: nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] SMS Notifications - Incomplete Output
onHostNotification

Service
> notifications using sms_client to my cell work just fine.  I'm
guessing
> this is just some kind of formatting problem on my command definition.
>
> Here are my notification command definitions:

> # 'notify-by-sms' command definition
> define command{
>         command_name    notify-by-sms
> command_line    /usr/local/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$
> '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$
> ($SERVICEOUTPUT$)'
>
>         }
>
> #'host-notify-by-sms' command definition define command{
>        command_name    host-notify-by-sms
> command_line    /usr/local/bin/sms_client -q $CONTACTPAGER$
> '$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTNAME$: $SERVICEDESC$ is $SERVICESTATE$
> ($HOSTOUTPUT$)'
>
>         }

Not really related but $SERVICEDESC$ and $SERVICESTATE$ will always be
null for a host notification. You should remove them.

> Email notifications work fine.  Service notifications via SMS work
fine.
> Only the hsot notifications via SMS do no t work correctly.
>
> Here's the output I do receive from the host notification via SMS:
>
> Recovery:
> Server1: is ()
>
> These command definitions worked fine on my Nagios v 1.3 system.

Not likely since $HOSTOUTPUT$ wasn't valid then ;) In any event, I think
they worked fine under 1.3 and you're seeing your current results
because host-notify-by-sms is never actually used. Do you really have
contact definitions that use host-notify-by-sms? It would seem more
likely that they all use notify-by-sms for both
service_notification_commands and host_notification_commands.

--
Marc

reporting any issue.