AIX NRPE questions

Berg,David David.Berg at Cerner.com
Tue Jun 5 19:00:57 CEST 2007

Hi, I was hoping someone might have some advice for me regarding
monitoring AIX nodes.

I am attempting to get NRPE 2.8.1 running on AIX 5.3, so far without any
luck.

Following the NRPE.pdf documentation
(http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/nrpe/NRPE.pdf), I was able to
configure without ssl and install using the GCC compiler. I then added a
line to the /etc/inetd.conf file as follows:

nrpe    stream  tcp     nowait  nagios  /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c
/usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -I

Added this to /etc/services:
nrpe                     5666/tcp               # NRPE for Nagios

Netstat looks good:
netstat -at | grep nrpe
tcp4       0      0  *.nrpe                 *.*
LISTEN

I also added the ip address of the local node to the nrpe.cfg file and
have confirmed that the nagios user and group own the related
directories and files.

However, when I try to start nrpe, via the command line or by refreshing
inetd, it doesn't start and doesn't give me any errors. For example:

/etc> /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -i
/etc> ps -ef | grep nrpe
    root 2072804 2019568   0 15:47:11  pts/1  0:00 grep nrpe
/etc> /usr/local/nagios/bin/nrpe -c /usr/local/nagios/etc/nrpe.cfg -d
/etc> ps -ef | grep nrpe
    root 2478206 2019568   0 15:47:24  pts/1  0:00 grep nrpe

Does anyone have any idea what I'm missing here? Also, does anyone know
of any Nagios documentation for AIX? I have not had a lot of luck with
http://www.nagioscommunity.org/wiki.

Thanks for any help,
David Berg

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE This message and any included attachments are from Cerner Corporation and are intended only for the addressee. The information contained in this message is confidential and may constitute inside or non-public information under international, federal, or state securities laws. Unauthorized forwarding, printing, copying, distribution, or use of such information is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful. If you are not the addressee, please promptly delete this message and notify the sender of the delivery error by e-mail or you may call Cerner's corporate offices in Kansas City, Missouri, U.S.A at (+1) (816)221-1024.  Cerner Limited, Registered in England no 2519305, Registered Office 37 North Wharf Road, London W2 1AF.