check_ping vs check_icmp?

Holger Weiss holger at CIS.FU-Berlin.DE
Mon Jul 30 19:53:30 CEST 2007

* Rogelio Bastardo <scubacuda at gmail.com> [2007-07-30 10:37]:
> I just recently noticed that there is a check_ping and a check_icmp plugin.
>
> I ran "./check_plugin --help" on each, but am still unclear as to what
> each does differently.

Unlike check_ping, check_icmp allows for checking multiple hosts at
once; the behaviour is more configurable; and it generates performance
data output.  But the main difference is that check_ping executes the
system's ping(1) command and parses its output while check_icmp talks
ICMP itself.  This usually means that check_icmp must be installed
setuid root, but also that its performance is much better.  Given that
Nagios 2.x holds off on doing anything else while performing host
checks, this might be an important advantage.

So, if you don't mind installing the plugin setuid root, I'd recommend
using check_icmp.

> Does check_icmp include traceroute and other non-ping ICMP checks?

No.

Holger

--
PGP fingerprint:  F1F0 9071 8084 A426 DD59  9839 59D3 F3A1 B8B5 D3DE