check_snmp to monitor temperature probes

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Mon Jul 30 08:47:14 CEST 2007

On 29/07/07, Patel, H (Hiten) <H.Patel at rl.ac.uk> wrote:
> I need to implement monitoring for the set of temperature probes using snmp.
> I've issued the following command:
> /usr/local/nagios/libexec/check_snmp -H <IPADDRESS>  -o
> .<oid>  -w 27 -c 28 -C public
>
> And got:
>
> SNMP OK - 22 | iso.3.6.1.4.1.17373.2.2.1.5.1=22
>
> How can I implement this in Nagios?. I've only installed Nagios last week so
> I'm not an expert yet.

The "SNMP OK - 22" is what will appear on-screen in Nagios (presumably
that's 22 degrees C!); anything after the | pipe symbol is only used
for collecting performance data - typically it is used if you have
installed Nagiosgrapher, PNP or suchlike to graph the values you are
getting from Nagios.  So that command seems to be working fine.

For Nagios, you need to set up a command definition, probably in
/usr/local/etc/nagios/commands.cfg (depending on where you have your
Nagios config files).  Then you need to set up a service definition
which uses the new command definition you've just set up.

See.  http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/xodtemplate.html

I can heartily recommend Wolfgang Barth's book "Nagios" published by
No Starch press if you want a head-start learning how to configure
things in Nagios.

hth,

Jim