execute command as root user

Martin Koeck lists at brainwork.at
Mon Jul 23 12:37:06 CEST 2007

Hello,

I know this is more OS related and not so much nagios related, but I
thought maybe somebody has stumbled across this:

I need, on a critical failure that is trapped by nagios (this works for
me), to restart an application which I usually restart as root user on
this machine.

To be specific: Tomcat is giving up work now and then on this machine, I
can trap it, and need to restart it. Normally I do this by
/etc/init.d/tomcat restart -- but I need to be root for this, so nagios
cannot do this automatically for me, because it runs as nagios user.

What is the best way to approach this ? Changing the owner of the
tomcat-related startup files so that nagios can do it ? Writing a file
on-critical-error and restarting tomcat (as a cron-job), whenever that
file exists ? Something else ?

Regards,
Martin