Alternative to Ping

Corey Mosher coreym at novexsoftware.com
Fri Jul 20 18:51:24 CEST 2007

If my hardware and software firewalls block ping requests, what do you
guys suggest as an alternative to ping to determine that a server is up
and running?  I intend to eventually setup check_by_ssh checks for each
server for various things like hard disk space, etc but I was wondering
if there was something else that might be good for just checking that a
system is up and running.

--
*Corey Mosher*
*Novex Software Development*