Permission Denied on check_nt

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Thu Jul 19 21:14:40 CEST 2007

Hello,

19.07.2007 20:43,, Paul Broadwith wrote::
> The permissions on the 'plugins' directory and all of the plugins were
> root.root, but are now as follows:
> Happy to let somebody have a look around the server via SSH if they
> wish. Short of rebuilding the server I'm not sure what to do myself!

Oh damn... be careful with this sort of offer! At least chose someone
with a known and confirmed name, set up a contract, get that signed by
your management, so that you know whom to strangle when things go
wrong :-)

> As an aside I couldn't get Nagios running at first because it couldn't
> write the .pid file in /var/run. I changed the location of the .pid file
> to the /var/log/nagios and it worked fine. That also seemed to be
> permissions based even though I had given Nagios full access to the
> /var/run directory.

This looks like you, during testing perhaps, ran nagios as root. Some
files created were left behind, still owned by root, so that Nagios
can not recreate or modify them.

Now, I don't know where Nagios uses temporary files, pid files,
sockets for interprocess communication, or whatever, but I would start
using strace now on the running nagios processes, and check the
permissions of all files (and directories) Nagios accesses...

Arno

--
Arno Lehmann
IT-Service Lehmann