service depenency templates

Jeff Chapin Jeff.Chapin at t8design.com
Thu Jul 19 00:07:54 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have inherited a small, but messy Nagios installation. I have spent a
lot of time cleaning it up, and templating out a bunch of things.  For
instance, to create a new host, you simply add 2 lines in a new file -
the template to use, and the hostname.  Based on the template you use,
it is assigned hostgroups and based on the hostgroups, it is assigned
service checks. It works great for us.  A little example:

define host{

        use                     generic-host-ssl

        host_name               www.ssldomain.com

        }

This assigned the host www.ssldomain.com <http://www.ssldomain.com/>  to
the hostgroup SSLDomains, along with the defaults for that domain.

SSLDomains get tested for "HTTP by NAME" and "SSL Cert" - the former is
obvious, and the second checks for existence off a SSL cert, and Crits
if it is expired or will expire soon, warns if it  expires in the next
month, and says OK otherwise.

What I would like to do, is setup a service dependency so that I am not
warned about a missing SSL cert, if HTTP is down.  Looking through the
docs, it appears that the following MAY work:

define servicedependency{

        hostgroup_name                  SSLDomain

        service_description             HTTP by NAME

        dependent_hostgroup_name        SSLDomain

        dependent_service_description   SSL Cert

        execution_failure_criteria      n

        notification_failure_criteria   c,w,u

}

Looking at the documentation, though, this might not work....

It appears that in this case the SSL Cert warnings will not go down if
ANY of the HTTP by NAMES are down.... Is this the case?

Any easy ways to accomplish this?

Thanks,

JEFF CHAPIN
SYSTEM ADMINISTRATOR

T8DESIGN.COM | P 319.266.7574 - x267 | 877.T8IDEAS | F 888.290.4675

This e-mail, including attachments, is covered by the Electronic
Communications Privacy Act, 18 U.S.C. 2510-2521, is confidential, and
may be legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, you
are hereby notified that any retention, dissemination, distribution, or
copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. Please reply to
the sender that you have received the message in error, and then please
delete it. Thank you.