Temporal disabling of checks and notifications for a bulk of hosts and services

Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de Ralph.Grothe at itdz-berlin.de
Thu Jul 12 15:55:28 CEST 2007

Dear Nagios Users,

I was forced to relocate my main Nagios server temporarily.

The negative effect of this was, because the server now resides
in a totally different lan segment,
not only that I had to change the whole parent relations of hosts
to cater for the changed routing.
Even worse, was that the Nagios server no longer can access about
half its monitored hosts and services
via ports 22 and 5666 tcp.

If the firewalls at least had left me with open port 22 I could
have changed all my nrpe checks
to something like

check_by_ssh!login!rsa_key!/remote/path/to/check_nrpe -H
127.0.0.1 -c check_as_usual

I thought about tunneling the lost remote 22 ports by e.g. ssh
local port forwarding via the host
that previously hosted my Nagios server.
But this all seems too contrived and error prone to me.

So I thought about disabling active and passive checks as well as
notifications by
providing a template that would have active_checks_enabled, and
notifications_enabled set to 0
and which now will be use-d by all the hosts that are affected.

This should reduce the required config changes to a minimum.

I now wonder, before I set the global notifications_enabled in my
nagios.cfg to 1,
if it would suffice to disable the dozens of *_hosts.cfg files (I
separeted my config by cfg_dir) merely
in the manner I described, to also make Nagios skip running any
checks for the services of these hosts?

So, has a disabled host automatically also disabled all its
service checks, and hence notifications?

Regards

Ralph