Nagios Configuration

Jim Avery jim at jimavery.me.uk
Wed Jul 11 22:53:53 CEST 2007

On 11/07/07, Corey Mosher <coreym at novexsoftware.com> wrote:

>  Hi there,
>  We are currently using nagios installed on an internal server.  It monitors
> various external servers in different locations.  When our ISP connection
> goes down occasionally, we get a flurry of notifications (about 30 saying
> that systems are down and another 30 when the connection comes back up).
> I'm looking for a way that we can suppress those notifications and just send
> out one saying that the internet connection is down.  Ideally I'd like to
> have a check for internet (perhaps by checking that it can get to google)
> then if it sees the internet connection go down, notify and turn off all
> other tests temporarily.  Can anyone help me in how I might configure
> something like this?

I can't say I've ever tried it (so forgive me if I'm barking up the
wrong tree), but I guess you could you do something clever with an
event handler on the service which monitors the internet connection.
The event handler could submit a command to Nagios to disable
notifications when the internet connection goes down and re-enable
them when it comes up.

See http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/eventhandlers.html
and http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/extcommands.html

hth,