Notifications for hosts and services

Andrew Zahn azahn at insors.com
Wed Jul 11 17:08:12 CEST 2007

Hi,

I currently have two classes of systems: production and development.
Both types have many of the same services I am monitoring with nagios. I
want notifications sent to different contact groups based on whether its
a prod or dev system. I was hoping that if I use a two host definitions
that each specify a different contact group that would be sufficient.
This seems to work for host notifications (host up, host down, etc.) but
doesn't effect services.  It seems you have to specify a contact_group
for services as well and since I use the same service checks for prod
and dev hosts I can't understand how to make it work in this fashion. At
this point it seems I would have to define all the services twice each
with different contact group. That can't be right.

If I am approaching this wrong please let me know of a better way.

Thanks for your assistance,

Andrew