Problem with NSClient++/check_nt and checking all automatic services

Frost, Mark {PBG} mark.frost1 at pepsi.com
Tue Jul 10 17:50:19 CEST 2007

I'm in the process of switching from NRPE_NT to NSClient++ to monitor
Windows hosts.  The last check I'm trying to convert is the ability to
monitor all automatic Windows services and notify if any of those are
not running.

On the Nagios server side I'm using version 1.4.9 of check_nt. If I run
the following command:

	check_nt -H <win_server> -v SERVICESTATE -p 12489 -s <password>
-l CheckAll

I get a lot of services listed.  All of them are shown as stopped and
check_nt returns an error indicating that it thinks there's something
wrong. When I check the status on those services (the ones I can easily
identify by short name) I see that they're all stopped because they're
disabled. According to the Wiki entry for CheckAll as a SERVICESTATE
option, it is supposed to

	Check to see that all services set to auto-start are started and
all set to disabled are not started.

I actually don't care about disabled services being stopped, but
according to this description, NSClient++ should notice it. However, it
looks like it's not correctly noticing that these service are stopped
because they're disabled.

I'm thinking that the only way I might be able to do this would be to
enumerate all Windows services that should be automatic (making for one
huge command line). Besides being a big pain, this would mean that I'd
miss any new services.

Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks

Mark