[RFC] WebReboot Plugin

Kevin Menard kmenard at servprise.com
Tue Jul 10 13:35:10 CEST 2007

Hi,

Please allow me to apologize in advance for the semi-commercial nature
of this message.  As many of you surely know, Nagios lists partnering
products on its Web site.  I happen to work for Servprise, which makes
the WebReboot line of products listed there.  I am currently leading up
a development effort to provide Nagios integration with both the small
business and enterprise product line.

While I have an idea of what we'd like to see, I'd like to see what
others in the community may be interested in.  Right now, we have the
following planned:

- Ability to check host power status (up and down)
- Ability to detect reboot cycles via flap detection
- Ability to check host temperature (enterprise only, since this will be
done through our product and not the BIOS)

Corrective actions for any of the above, as well as any of the standard
service/host failures:

- Turn host on
- Turn host off
- Reboot host

If anyone can think of anything else they would like to see, please let
me know.  This will be a work in progress, but we should have a
development status page up on http://dev.servprise.com/ soon.  The
developer blog there will keep people up to date.  The enterprise plugin
will either be GPL'd or ASL'd/BSD'd and likely implemented in Python.
The small business one presents some technical problems due to its
command structure, but we'll work something out.  We do have a Java API
for it, but that doesn't look like it fits in with the Nagios model
terribly well.

Anyway, any comments would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Menard
Servprise International, Inc.