Dependencies question

Demetri Mouratis dmourati at cm.math.uiuc.edu
Mon Jul 9 21:21:45 CEST 2007

On Mon, 9 Jul 2007, Patrick M. Hausen wrote:

> "Here's a group of <somethings>, i.e. hosts or services.
> If any number of them fails, just send a notification for
> the first one. I will look at the Nagios status page anyway and
> probably something else connecting them in some way failed."

Have you seen check_cluster?

http://nagios.manubulon.com/traduction/docs14en/clusters.html

Does your network utilize load balancers?  If so, consider monitoring the
VIP instead of or in addition to the individual hosts behind the LB.

When it comes to monitoring stuff across the WAN, I've found the best
approach is to move the monitoring server (Nagios) as close to the
monitored hosts as possible.  This will help eliminate your multi-path to
the data center problem and also eliminate the phenonmenon I refer to as
"monitoring the internet"