NRPE

Skylar Thompson skylar at cs.earlham.edu
Sat Jul 7 19:11:23 CEST 2007

Guille wrote:
> Hello everyone, im trying to install NRPE in a cuople of hosts i was reading some howto
> but i still with doubts, in them it says i needs have the plugin, like check_nrpe, in the
> client too to but where?.. i have not install nagios in the clients. Other thing is when
> i untar the plugin .. i havent a nrpe.cfg in the src/.. its ok?
>
> What is the best way to use it? via Xinetd ?
>
> Thanks in advance for any suggestion!.

You'll need the nrpe-plugin package (providing check_nrpe) on the
server, not the client. Unless you'll only be running your own custom
plugins, you'll need nagios-plugins on the client as well as nrpe.

As far as xinetd, I haven't had any luck getting nrpe to run from xinetd
on RHEL hosts. I just start it out of rc.local.

--
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar at cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/