using Nagios to find cause(s) of jitter in VoIP network

Rob Groome groome at ict.usc.edu
Fri Jul 6 21:18:53 CEST 2007

On Jul 6, 2007, at 10:56 AM, Rogelio Bastardo wrote:

> How might one use Nagios to monitor an MPLS SLA (service level
> agreement)?
>
> Some VoIP phones are experiencing jitter, and I'm looking for tools
> (ideally, Nagios-friendly) which might help me find the chokepoint(s).
>
> Any help showing in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Before you get to Nagios, you need to sniff your network and figure
out what is happening on those phones and see what their traffic is
doing.  Use ethereal if you have it or download wireshark to see what
traffic is being passed.  Once you determine what the issue is you
will likely have to write something - or find something already
written - that will do what you need, but this sounds somewhat
location specific.  This is beyond nagios to help diagnose the
problem, as you need to diagnose before you can monitor in this case.

Also - look at your switches interface stats to determine if you have
runts, retransmits etc....