Nagios and AD integration

Justin King justink at landstaff.com
Fri Jul 6 19:17:42 CEST 2007

Just wondering if anyone has played with this combination before and if
so maybe they could provide me a head start.  Here's what I've got done
so far:

I did a simple install of mod_auth_kerb (quick yum install), and setup
the authentication servers to my DCs, and set the module to load with
apache, the standard faire.  Oddly enough, I found useful help on
Microsoft's own knowledgebase here:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555092/en-us

I then modified /etc/httpd/conf.d/nagios.conf using the guidelines laid
out in the above link, including setting "Require valid-user".

Finally, a quick jump into cgi.cfg and a switch of rights from
"nagiosadmin" to * and bam everyone is in (assuming they can
authenticate of course).

Here's my complication:

What I'd really like to do is filter the access down to specific groups
in AD, and utilize the access view filtering in nagios so that sql
administrators only see the status of sql servers (as an example).  I
could probably use mod_auth_ldap, but is there a way to associate that
LDAP group with a NAGIOS contact group so that I can reference it in
cgi.cfg?  The end goal would be that someone could manage all of the
viewing/notification of Nagios through AD groups and not have to touch
the Linux box directly at all.  So anyone a member of "SQL
Notifications" group would get notifications as well as be able to
browse the nagios website for SQL status.

Has anyone done anything like this?

Regards,

Justin King