Problem: Sending RECOVERY to contacts which have never got WARNING/CRITICAL notifications

Sascha Runschke srunschke at abit.de
Fri Jul 6 15:52:32 CEST 2007

Hi all,

it has been a while since I last wrote something, but Nagios usually just
works perfect ;)

But lately I stumbled over a small problem, which is really annoying. I'm
using Nagios 2.9.

Scenario is:

Servicecheck goes WARNING during the night (escalation says: no SMS, only
MAIL!) -> WARNING Mails are dispatched
Servicecheck goes OK during night (escalation says: SMS and MAIL are both
ok) -> RECOVERY Mails + SMS are dispatched

I really wonder why Nagios sends RECOVERY though Channels, which never
received
the WARNING/CRITICAL. If nothing changed in the policies lately, Nagios
should only
send RECOVERY to someone who got the WARNING/CRITICAL at first.

The WARNING are send via Mail to NETWORK-CONTACTGROUP-MAIL, which contains
set of contacts for Mail. The RECOVERY instead is send to
NETWORK-CONTACTGROUP-SMS,
which contain a different set of contacts, that carry the pager number.
Again: we have 2 different
contacts for each person, one for mail, one for SMS! So the RECOVERY goes
to a contact
that didn't even receive the WARNING/CRITICAL in first place - that's what
disturbs me most,
despite the fact that unwanted SMS at 5am are quite disturbing too...

Did anyone else notice this lately?
Is anyone able to explain that behaviour to me?

Config of the checks is as follows:
(I have resolved all template inheritance to make it better readable - of
course we do not
set up things like that in real ;))

define service {
name                    generic-SNMP
max_check_attempts            2
normal_check_interval         1
retry_check_interval          1
active_checks_enabled         1
check_period                  24x7
passive_checks_enabled  1
parallelize_check       1
obsess_over_service           1
flap_detection_enabled        1
process_perf_data       1
retain_status_information     1
retain_nonstatus_information  1
notification_interval         60
notification_period           24x7
notification_options          w,u,c,r
notifications_enabled         1
stalking_options        w,u,c
contact_groups                NETWORK-CONTACTGROUP-MAIL
host_name               USV01
service_description           USV_TEMPERATURE
servicegroups                 SERVICEGROUP
register                      1
check_command
check_snmp!my-secret-community!iso.3.6.1.4.1.1356.1.2.4.0!1!:37!99:42
notification_interval         10
stalking_options        c,w,u
notification_options          c,w,u,r
}

Naturally all notifications get overridden by our escaltion settings:

#
# Daylight: SMS every 10 Mins at first occurence
#
define serviceescalation {
name                                esc_service_verfuegbarkeit_1_1
first_notification            1
last_notification       0
notification_interval   10
escalation_period daylight_hours
escalation_options      c
host_name         USV01
service_description     USV_TEMPERATURE
contact_groups          NETWORK-CONTACTGROUP-SMS
}
#
# Night: SMS once at the second occurence
#
define serviceescalation {
name                                esc_service_verfuegbarkeit_1_2
first_notification            2
last_notification       0
notification_interval   600
escalation_period night_hours
escalation_options      c
host_name         USV01
service_description     USV_TEMPERATURE
contact_groups          NETWORK-CONTACTGROUP-SMS
}
#
# 24x7: Recovery via SMS (only fires when SMS has been dispatched before)
#
define serviceescalation {
name                                esc_service_verfuegbarkeit_1_3
first_notification            1
last_notification             0
notification_interval         600
escalation_period             24x7
escalation_options            r
host_name         USV01
service_description     USV_TEMPERATURE
contact_groups          NETWORK-CONTACTGROUP-SMS
}
#
# 24x7: Always receive notifacations via Mail too
#
define serviceescalation {
name                                esc_service_verfuegbarkeit_1_4
first_notification            1
last_notification             0
notification_interval         10
escalation_period             24x7
escalation_options            c,w,u,r
host_name         USV01
service_description     USV_TEMPERATURE
contact_groups          NETWORK-CONTACTGROUP-MAIL
}

I'd appreciate any light sched into this matter.

Regards
      Sascha

--
Sascha Runschke         Tel.:+49 (0) 2150.9153.226
Netzwerk Management  Mobil:+49 (0) 173.5419665
IT-Services             mailto:SRunschke at abit.de

ABIT AG                 Vorstand: Christian van Laak
Robert-Bosch-Str. 1     Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: Jürgen Baltes
40668 Meerbusch         Amtsgericht Neuss, HRB 13920

http://www.abit.net     Sicherheitshinweis zur E-Mail Kommunikation:
http://www.abit-epos.net   http://www.abit.net/sicherheitshinweis.html