Nested notifications; parent vis-a-vis parent_host

Lev Lafayette lev at ivt.com.au
Wed Jul 4 03:28:49 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-03 at 10:13 -0500, Marc Powell wrote:

Hi Marc,

> > However, when the parent machine goes down, all the VMs (for obvious
> > reasons) send out a "Oh Noes!" message as well. This is not wanted.
> >

> Shouldn't happen if your host checks work properly and you have the
> parents directive properly set up to match your environment.

To be more specific, when a border-router or similar goes down,
unreachable notifications are sent out for a number of connected
machines, vms and so forth; which is pretty obvious imo... This seems to
be the main issue DOWNs leading to UNREACHABLES.

> > Now the nagios documentation, dating back from the netsaint days, says
> > the system to walk a dependency path using parent_host... however the
> > hosts.cfg has entries like the following:
>
> Why are you reading netsaint docuementation? It's incredibly outdated in
> general. In this particular regard however, the parents functionality
> has remained the same.

Perhaps I wasn't clear; what I meant was the Nagios documentation is
very similar indeed to the Netsaint documentation. i.e., Nagios 1.x
documention (Last Updated: 10-28-2004), section 'Determining Status and
Reachability of Network Hosts', is pretty much a word-for-word copy of
the old Netsaint documentation.

i.e., compare:
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/download/contrib/documentation/english/Nagios_1_0_Docs.pdf and http://www.netsaint.org/download/contrib/docs/netsaint-0.0.7.pdf

All the best,