check_mysql - how to store passwords securely

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 22:45:11 CEST 2007

On 7/2/07, Jake Solid <richardsolid at gmail.com> wrote:

> I use the NRPE deamon my Nagios server to monitor a remote mysql database.
>
> I have the following entry in the nrpe.cfg of my remote server that runs
> mysql:
>
> command[check_mysql]=/usr/lib64/nagios/plugins/check_mysql
>  -d my_database -u root -p mypassword

Why are you using your root user to test the database?

All you really need to do is grant USAGE rights to test user and then
not give them rights to anything else. From here, you can use your
resource file to put the password in there, and with proper
permissions, only root and the nagios user can read that file.

George Orwell