Need some help regarding with tomcat server

Rob Blake rob.blake at gmail.com
Tue Jan 30 17:37:18 CET 2007

On 1/30/07, raghavendra kristam <raghavendra.kristam at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
> I am quite new to nagios and finally I installed the required softwares on
> linux machine.
> I am able to access the web interface using the url http://<localhost>:90/nagios
> .
>
> a) nagios-2.7
> b) nagios-plugins-1.4.5
> c) Apache httpd-2.2.4
> d) mysql4.1.22
>

> I need to do the following scenarios with nagios. Please let me know how
> to handle this scenarios.
>
> a)For server availability: listening to Tomcat server port periodically
> and send out notification when there is no response on the port.
> b)For memory/disk usage: periodically check memory/disk space and send out
> notification when the usage reaches certain thresholds.
> c) For requests per minute for the Tomcat Server and per JSP level
> requests per minute and response time

a: Simply use the check_http plugin and supply the port as 8080. I assume
that's what your tomcat instance listens on.
b: Use either check_snmp or use check_disk plugins to accomplish these.
c: Not sure if you can do this. I certainly don't know of any Nagios plugins
that will do this for you. Maybe tomcat exposes this information via JMX or
something similar, but I'm not too up on that. Either way you're going to be
writing your own plugin to monitor it.

For how to use each of the mentioned plugins, simply run them with the -h
switch and go from there. Most are extremely self explanitory.

Rob.

Please let me know whether all these scenarios supported by nagios or not ?