Negate binary file

Richard Luys-Nagios User nagios at thebug.demon.nl
Tue Jan 30 12:48:44 CET 2007

On Tue, 30 Jan 2007 10:48:00 +0100, Yolanda Santos <iamyolanda at gmail.com>
wrote:

>  <nagios-users at lists.sourceforge.net>Hi,
>
> I have tried to use the negate binary file, but it doesn't work.
> Am I doing something wrong?
Hello Yolanda,

No, your not doing something wrong, your just confused ;-) let me explain:

The OK you see is the exit status of the check_http plugin, which is
indeed: OK. If you check the status of the negate with echo $? (directly
after you issued the command) you should see a response of '2', which is
the exitstatus known as CRITICAL.

Nagios interprets the negate exitstatus and not the exitstatus of the
command you 'negated'.

Just put your command 'wrapped' in the negate command in your nagios
configuration and it will show up as a CRITICAL when the plaintext-error
page is shown.

Good Luck!

Richard