Monitoring disk bandwidth utilization?

Mike Hamrick mikeh at muppetlabs.com
Sun Jan 28 21:00:16 CET 2007

Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

> I'm puzzled by this term of 'disk bandwitdh'. I am not quit sure we are on
> the same wavelenght here. But I could imagine digging up the absolute
> counters and using rrd to build the usual graphs out of them.

Sorry for not making this clear.  The iostat and sar utilities (part
of the RH sysstat package) will show you a statistic called either
iowait or %used for a given block device, which the manpage defines
as:

"Percentage of CPU time during which I/O requests were issued to the
device (bandwidth utilization for the device). Device saturation
occurs when this value is close to 100%."

> The issue I think is getting very frequent measurements and normalizing
> them in some sort so you can obtain average and maximum values out of
> them.

By default the sar utility will show you 10 minute averages, and
iostat can show you current utilizations.

Mike