Antwort: Re: Antwort: Re: $HOME is not set in init script

Arno Lehmann al at its-lehmann.de
Fri Jan 26 09:12:12 CET 2007

Hello,

On 1/26/2007 8:56 AM, TKocher at spirit21.de wrote:

I'm not absolutely sure, but is it your mail program that add an
"Antwort:" to the Subject? It would be nice if that could be turned off
- look at the subject line now and imagine how it will look after some
longer mail exchange.

The usual and more-or-less standard prefix for a reply is Re:.

> Danny,
>
> you have the same start section as it is on my system.
> If you look a little bit further in the file you find this section
>
> prefix=/usr
> exec_prefix=/usr
> NagiosBin=/usr/bin/nagios
> NagiosCfgFile=/etc/nagios/nagios.cfg
> NagiosStatusFile=/var/log/nagios/status.dat
> NagiosTempFile=/var/log/nagios/nagios.tmp
> NagiosRetentionFile=/var/log/nagios/retention.dat
> NagiosCommandFile=/var/log/nagios/rw/nagios.cmd
> NagiosVarDir=/var/log/nagios
> NagiosRunFile=/var/run/nagios.pid
> NagiosLockDir=/var/lock/subsys
> NagiosLockFile=nagios
> NagiosCGIDir=/usr/lib/nagios/cgi
> NagiosUser=nagios
> NagiosGroup=nagios
>
> # added by thorsten
>
> HOME=/var/log/nagios

If that is necessary then your setup is, IMO, broken.

su uses the system-wide setting for the home directoy. At least it does
so on all the systems I know.

That has been demonstarted in this thread.

Thus, there is no need for a work-around - you'd better check what is
broken in your setup.

> This solves the problem of the /home problem, so I before other people
> are running in the same problem it is better to add it in the distritbution.

No, it's probably only you who has that problem. So it would be better
to fix your problem and not create new ones...

By the way - and I don't know the start script you quote from - the HOME
variable probably needs to be exported before it takes effect.

Arno

IT-Service Lehmann                    al at its-lehmann.de