Several map views of Nagios

Chris Moody cmoody at qualcomm.com
Wed Jan 24 23:25:12 CET 2007

The statusmap.cgi does not re-draw the map in regards to screen
coordinates when hiding groups.  Your maps will remain "cluttered" even
though you can filter what's even displayed.  This is a known limitation
of the statusmap.cgi map.

I've had (very minor) success is setting the scale larger.
##############
fittipaldi cgi # diff statusmap.c statusmap.c-ORIG
72,73c72,73
< #define DEFAULT_NODE_VSPACING           45
< #define DEFAULT_NODE_HSPACING           85
---
 > #define DEFAULT_NODE_VSPACING           15
 > #define DEFAULT_NODE_HSPACING           45
84c84
< #define CIRCULAR_DRAWING_RADIUS         200
---
 > #define CIRCULAR_DRAWING_RADIUS         100
1745c1745
<                               /*else if(host_services_ratio>=1.5)
---
 >                               else if(host_services_ratio>=1.5)
1750c1750
<
outer_radius=DEFAULT_NODE_WIDTH*0.4;*/
---

outer_radius=DEFAULT_NODE_WIDTH*0.4;
1752,1754c1752
<
/*outer_radius=DEFAULT_NODE_WIDTH*0.2;*/
<                                       /* MODIFIED BY CMOODY - 11.29.05 */
<                                       outer_radius=DEFAULT_NODE_WIDTH;
---

outer_radius=DEFAULT_NODE_WIDTH*0.2;
2690c2688
<       int parent_drawing_width=1;
---
 >       int parent_drawing_width=0;
##############

I have yet to find a perfect solution.  I'm in a situation where I have
several thousand "nodes" to watch.

My interim solution has been to create multiple nagios instances with
apache vhosts.  This way I can group systems logically and represent
them in a cleaner fashion.  I have 0.1-rev code available via
nagios-exchange to build the different vhosts. (I'm hoping to have a
newer build available soon (with support for 2.x train of Nagios).)

Were my C skillz better, I'd try to take on a building a more adaptive
drawing algo...

Cheers,
-Chris