external notification commands

Marc Powell marc at ena.com
Wed Jan 24 15:53:41 CET 2007

[chop]

> So, any other thoughts on this? Running it in echo I see that the
> command line is correct for this application, and I know that it is
> configured to run correctly but it still doesn't get ran.

Well, it should be working. Stepping through the process --
	1) nagios is running the notification command as necessary
	2) the notification command is properly formatted (seen by echo
output)
	3) the notification command succeeds when run as the nagios user
from the command line

That really should be sufficient. The only other issue I can think of is
that your pager program relies on some program, path, environment
variable or library that is available when in a login shell but
unavailable to forked processes. Do you set any special variables,
aliases or anything in your login scripts? Can the people that wrote it
provide any insight or add debugging code to the program?

Try this to see if the program is reporting any errors --

# 'notify-by-pager' command definition
define command{
       command_name    notify-by-pager
       command_line    /usr/local/pager/client $CONTACTADDRESS1$
"Service: $SERVICEDESC$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nAddress:
$HOSTADDRESS$\nState: $SERVICESTATE$\nInfo: $SERVICEOUTPUT$\nDate:
$LONGDATETIME$ $NOTIFICATIONTYPE$: $HOSTALIAS$/$SERVICEDESC$ is
$SERVICESTATE$"'>> /tmp/nagios_notification.log 2>&1

--
Marc