external notification commands

Brian Loe knobdy at gmail.com
Tue Jan 23 20:28:56 CET 2007

On 1/23/07, Marc Powell <marc at ena.com> wrote:

> If the notification is being called but you don't see what you expect in
> your notification script, echo the command that nagios is running to a
> file to see if it's what you think it's supposed to be --
>
> define command {
>     command_name                   my_special_notification
>     command_line                   echo "$USER1$/my-notification-script
> $SOMEMACRO$ $SOMEOTHERMACRO$" >> /tmp/nagios-runs-me
>     }
>
> After nagios calls 'my_special_notification', the file
> /tmp/nagios-runs-me will contain the full command line that nagios
> _would_ have executed if it had really run the command.

Doing what you suggest I see that it IS running the notification,
except that the quotation marks are lost (which my external app
actually needs  - so maybe I can double them up?) and none of the
variables have been filled in within the quotes that are there
(perhaps because it was an echo, and the echo command wiill take
anything with quotes as strings?).