Add time host has been down to "HOST UP" emails

Edson Manners emanners at ucs.fsu.edu
Tue Jan 23 19:52:52 CET 2007

I am trying to add a line to "HOST UP" emails that shows for how long
the host was down.

The following is the current entry I have in my commands.cfg file

#------BEGIN SNIPPET---------------------------------------------
/usr/bin/printf "%b" "***** Nagios  *****\n\nNotification Type:
$NOTIFICATIONTYPE$\nHost: $HOSTNAME$\nState: $HOSTSTATE$\nAddress:
$HOSTADDRESS$\nInfo: $HOSTOUTPUT$\n\nDate/Time: $LONGDATETIME$\n
`/usr/local/bin/nagios_downtime \`date +%s\` $LASTHOSTUP$`\n" | mailx -s
"Host $HOSTSTATE$ alert for $HOSTNAME$!" $CONTACTEMAIL$
#------END SNIPPET-----------------------------------------------

The following is my addition:
`/usr/local/bin/nagios_downtime \`date +%s\` $LASTHOSTUP$`
** backticks included **

nagios_downtime - This is a perl script that takes arg1 and arg2 (in
epoch time) and outputs the time that the host was down in the following
format: HH:MM:SS

"date +%s" - prints current time in epoch

"$LASTHOSTUP$" - was *supposed* to print the last time that the host was
in the UP state in epoch time.

The problem that I am running into is this. The $LASTHOSTUP$ is only
usefule *while* the host is down because of the following. When the host
comes back up the value is reset to the current time not the old one
that I needed.

Can anyone think of any other way that they would approach adding a line
that contained how long the host was down for in nagios?

Other info
$ rpm -q nagios redhat-release nagios-plugins
nagios-2.6-1.el4.rf
redhat-release-4AS-5.5
nagios-plugins-1.4.5-1.el4.rf

Thanks