Remote Linux Client Appears Down ButServicesAreMonitored

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Tue Jan 23 15:03:52 CET 2007

I ran the command in question, and it did time out. I believe I know
why that is happening, and I am contacting the appropriate people to
hopefully have it resolved. Until that happens, is there a workaround
that I can put into place?

-----Original Message-----
From: nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net
[mailto:nagios-users-bounces at lists.sourceforge.net] On Behalf Of Marc Powell
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2007 6:11 PM
To: Nagios-Users (E-mail)
Subject: Re: [Nagios-users] Remote Linux Client Appears Down
ButServicesAreMonitored

What is
> > that check_command and does it work if you run it as the nagios user
> from >
> your nagios machine?
>
> If I understand you correctly, you are referring to the
check-host-alive
> command
> in the hosts.cfg file. I'm sorry if I sound like and idiot, but there
is
> no
> check_host_alive plugin in the libexec directory. What command should
> run in
> this case?

You'll have a file with all the command{} definitions in it (typically
named commands.cfg or checkcommands.cfg). One of those command{}
definitions will be named 'check-host-alive'. That command definition
will specify a command_line that will be run to check if the host is
alive. That command_line, substituting in proper variables as required,
would be the command you should be testing as the nagios user.

It's probably something like

define command{
        command_name    check-host-alive
        command_line    $USER1$/check_ping -H $HOSTADDRESS$ -w
3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1
        }

In which case, as the nagios user, you'd run
'/path/to/nagios/libexec/check_ping -H <ip or name of host here> -w
3000.0,80% -c 5000.0,100% -p 1

Where <ip or name of host here> is the value for 'address' specified in
the client host{} definition.

--
Marc

::: Please include Nagios version, plugin version (-v) and OS when reporting any
issue.

THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IN THIS ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED MATERIAL.  ANY REVIEW, RETRANSMISSION, DISSEMINATION OR OTHER USE OF OR TAKING OF ANY ACTION IN RELIANCE UPON, THIS INFORMATION BY PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED.  IF YOU RECEIVED THIS INFORMATION IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER AND THE PRIVACY OFFICER, AND PROPERLY DISPOSE OF THIS INFORMATION.