Remote Linux Client Appears Down But Services Are Monitored

Kaplan, Andrew H. AHKAPLAN at PARTNERS.ORG
Mon Jan 22 21:23:22 CET 2007

Hi there --

I have Nagios 2.6 with plugins 1.4.5, and NRPE 2.6 installed on a server that is
running Fedora Core 5. The remote client in question is running NRPE 2.6 with
plugins 1.4.5 on a Fedora Core 2 operating system. NRPE is configured to run
with the -n option on the server as well as the client. NRPE is configured to
run on the client via the /etc/rc.local file with the following syntax:

						/usr/local/nrpe/bin/nrpe -n -c
/usr/local/nrpe/etc/nrpe.cfg -d

The remote client appears in the web interface as down, but its monitored
services appear as OK. I checked the remote client to make sure the services in
question
were those that were on the client, and everything appears to match up. I ran
the plugins on the client from the server using check_nrpe from the command
line, and the output from the commands came back without a problem. I also ran
the plugins directly on the client without any problem.

The web interface, for some reason, is seeing the client as down even though
from the command line it appears the client is fine and easily monitored. What
has caused this problem, and how can I fix it? Thanks.

THE INFORMATION TRANSMITTED IN THIS ELECTRONIC COMMUNICATION IS INTENDED ONLY FOR THE PERSON OR ENTITY TO WHOM IT IS ADDRESSED AND MAY CONTAIN CONFIDENTIAL AND/OR PRIVILEGED MATERIAL.  ANY REVIEW, RETRANSMISSION, DISSEMINATION OR OTHER USE OF OR TAKING OF ANY ACTION IN RELIANCE UPON, THIS INFORMATION BY PERSONS OR ENTITIES OTHER THAN THE INTENDED RECIPIENT IS PROHIBITED.  IF YOU RECEIVED THIS INFORMATION IN ERROR, PLEASE CONTACT THE SENDER AND THE PRIVACY OFFICER, AND PROPERLY DISPOSE OF THIS INFORMATION.