Distributed Monitoring

Marcel Mitsuto Fucatu Sugano msugano at uolinc.com
Mon Jan 22 20:03:02 CET 2007

On Mon, 2007-01-22 at 13:08 +0300, Dmitriy Kirhlarov wrote:

> >                 I have one nagios server working in my company, and
> > need to add another nagios server to monitor another servers in
> other
> > subnets,
> >
> > I don't know if there's any solution to have 2 nagios servers(1
> central
> > nagios) and 1 monitor screen... it's mean the second server will
> send
> > all check results to the central nagios.
>
> It's work in our installation.
> But, I don't find no one web config tool support this. :(

I've tested monarch, and with wome tweaking you can generate configs for
distributed and central nagios instances. You just tell monarch the file
you are generating, and with something like cronned ssh/scp/rsync you
can upload the config to your distributed server and reload the new
config in an automated way.

> It's not complicated.
>
> Look schema:
>
> Central Host (location1 + location2)
>     ^            ^
>     |            |
>     |            |
> location1    location2
>
> You making service_template_locations and host_template_locations. On
> central host and on locations it's different templates
> (active_check_enable 0 and 1 correspondingly)

Not necessarily that configuration. Central nagios can act as a
fail-over active nagios instance if you configure it correctly. Like, if
for some dark force, your distributed nagios instance fails to monitor
correctly, the central instance can detect that (freshness_checking),
and issue the active check instead of waiting any longer for the passive
check to come up.

> All checks for locations based on this templates.

Also, you don't need to stick with nsca to send results from distributed
to central nagios. You can do that with syslog-ng too. At my location,
we have hibrid syslog-ng/nsca distributing passive check results to both
instances of central nagios, that act redundantly. Fail over is coming
soon :)

HTH,

Marcel

AVISO: A informação contida neste e-mail, bem como em qualquer de seus anexos, é CONFIDENCIAL e destinada ao uso exclusivo do(s) destinatário(s) acima referido(s), podendo conter informações sigilosas e/ou legalmente protegidas. Caso você não seja o destinatário desta mensagem, informamos que qualquer divulgação, distribuição ou cópia deste e-mail e/ou de qualquer de seus anexos é absolutamente proibida. Solicitamos que o remetente seja comunicado imediatamente, respondendo esta mensagem, e que o original desta mensagem e de seus anexos, bem como toda e qualquer cópia e/ou impressão realizada a partir destes, sejam permanentemente apagados e/ou destruídos. Informações adicionais sobre nossa empresa podem ser obtidas no site http://sobre.uol.com.br/.

NOTICE: The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments thereto is CONFIDENTIAL and is intended only for use by the recipient named herein and may contain legally privileged and/or secret information. If you are not the e-mail´s intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copy of this e-mail, and/or any attachments thereto, is strictly prohibited. Please immediately notify the sender replying to the above mentioned e-mail address, and permanently delete and/or destroy the original and any copy of this e-mail and/or its attachments, as well as any printout thereof. Additional information about our company may be obtained through the site http://www.uol.com.br/ir/.