Nagios receiving acknowledgements from behind firewall?

David Rudder david.rudder at reliableresponse.net
Sun Jan 21 00:32:21 CET 2007

I've written a service to do this, and I've applied to put it into
SourceForge, under an Apache license.  SourceForge takes a couple
business days to review each request, so I'm hoping it'll get posted to
http://sourceforge.net/projects/ackpoller
by Wednesday or so.

I've made it totally divorced from my product, except in the example
config files I'm shipping with it.  But, there's no code sharing, and no
dependencies, so it can be used by other people for other uses.  I'll
also be hosting an ackpoller service, so if you just want to be able to
acknowledge via a public web browser without paying for my software, you
can.

I'll be adding docs and whatnot to the CVS repository, once it's up on
SourceForge.  The basic idea is this:
AckPoller runs on a server somewhere out on the Internet
You setup a service in Nagios which polls regularly.  You use the
check_ackpoller as the check_command.  You can also just run it from cron.
check_poller uses SOAP::Lite to ask the server for new updates.  If it
gets any, it posts a CGI request back to your Nagios server.
WSDL is at
http://www.reliableresponse.net:8080/ackpoller/GetUpdates.jws?wsdl

To acknowledge an alert, you can then go to a webpage (mine's at
http://www.reliableresponse.net:8080/ackpoller/nagios.jsp).  It'll
demand a password, but it'll log you in with whatever username/password
you give it.  The username and password are not used for authentication,
just as a way of indexing the updates.

Then, it'll  give you a form like the "Acknowledge" screen on Nagios.
It uses exactly the same CGI parameters as Nagios, so my software will
work with it unadulterated.   When you submit this form, ackpoller
stores the info in the database, keyed on the username and password you
supplied.

When check_ackpoller runs, it supplies a username/password pair also.
That's how we know which updates are for you.  In theory, you could have
2 people with the same name, but different passwords.  There's no
checking to see if you're using the same username/password pair, so make
sure to choose a password you feel is reasonably unique.

Marc, thanks for the help.  I hope this code is useful to people.  Once
the project is up on SF, I'll be happy to add anyone as contributors who
are interested.

-Dave

P.S.  I don't have my hosted server setup for real yet.  For instance,
the database tables :)  So, it won't actually work for a few days.  But,
you can see the nagios.jsp page and the wsdl file.