Monitoring question

Wed Jan 17 18:29:40 CET 2007

Formoso, Travis wrote:
>> OK I will try to give it the check_http check and see if it works when I > > bring down the httpd.
>>

> Here is what I have now: (I added the event handler to http)
>
> # http
> define service{
>  use                            generic-service
>
>  host_name                      www.blueslate.net,prpc,mars.blueslate.net,localhost
>  service_description            HTTP
>  is_volatile                    0
>  check_period                   24x7
>  max_check_attempts             3
>  event_handler                  restart-httpd
>  normal_check_interval          3
>  retry_check_interval           1
>  contact_groups                 bssadmins
>  notification_interval          60
>  notification_period            24x7
>  notification_options           w,u,c,r
>  check_command                  check_http!guest:guest
> }
>
> Here is the output of the log file:
>
> [1169048695] SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;Connection refused
> [1169048695] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER: localhost;HTTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;1;restart-httpd
> [1169048755] SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;Connection refused
> [1169048755] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER: localhost;HTTP;CRITICAL;SOFT;2;restart-httpd
> [1169048815] SERVICE ALERT: localhost;HTTP;CRITICAL;HARD;3;Connection refused
> [1169048815] SERVICE NOTIFICATION: tformoso;localhost;HTTP;CRITICAL;notify-by-email;Connection refused
> [1169048815] SERVICE EVENT HANDLER: localhost;HTTP;CRITICAL;HARD;3;restart-httpd
>
> I shut down the httpd - however the service did not restart auto - so the handler is not working. Any thing I can try or did wrong?

Have you tried running the "restart-httpd" command as the Nagios user
from the console?
Also, on my server Apache (2.2) takes roughly 3-4 seconds to start up,
and it looks like Nagios doesn't provide any delay between running the
event handler, and the subsequent check if httpd's running.

If the command works OK, try adding a "sleep for 5 seconds" command
(e.g. "sleep 5" for bash) to your event handler script after Apache has
started.