check for terminal servers/rdp?

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Tue Jan 16 14:52:53 CET 2007

Hari Sekhon wrote:
> If I wanted to test just the port I'd use check_tcp.
>
> I'd like to check that it can properly talk to rdp if I can. For
> example, I also use vnc, so I wrote a bash script around vncsnapshot to
> form a valid plugin to send creds and then pull the screen from the
> machine. Only if it pulled successfully would you get an OK status.

I've never come across a plugin that does what you want. However, RDP is
an open protocol and there are opensource clients for it, implementing
the protocol.

> Since I'm moving away from vnc and towards terminal servers I would like
> to be able to implement a similar test, although the login part isn't
> necessary, as long as I can get to the login prompt I know it'll work
> and I don't want to fill up logs with continuous windows logins.

RDP works by sending images followed by deltas against the first image,
along with some pointers on "here's your cursor" and things like that.
Deciding if it's the login screen or not would require fetching an image
over the network and passing it to image-recognition software. It's not
extremely complicated, but still far from easy.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se