Nagios / NDO utils and Cacti

Andrew Cruse andrew at profitability.net
Thu Jan 11 16:52:44 CET 2007

Richard Luys-Nagios User wrote:
> Hello List,
>
> I know, Nagios and Cacti is asked before. But this one is with a
> twist.
>
> I compiled Nagios with event-broker-support and use the NDO Utils to
> fill a MySQL database with the check output and perfdata (default
> NDO2DB functionality). Now I like to install Cacti in such a manner
> that it uses the data in the NDO tables to create graphs.
>
> So basically, Nagios checks everything, and Cacti only uses the data
> from the NDO database. I think this must be possible, but I am new to
> Nagios and have no clue how to do this. I think I have to create some
> scripts that query the database and feed the info to Cacti.

You *could* do it this way, but why?  The only way I could see without doing
some major hacking up of Cacti would be to write an input script for Cacti
that pulls the current values from the database.  Cacti would take those
values and insert them into RRD files, and would then read the RRD files and
display graphs based on those.  So you're going to a lot of work just to get
the data into an RRD file when there are handy plugins for Nagios that will
take perfdata and RRD-ize them automatically.  Then you can just point Cacti
to those RRD's.

Andrew