NAGIOS - check_by_ssh failed

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 10 11:23:32 CET 2007

Neal.Giger at chandleraz.gov wrote:
> Hey Guys,
>
> I am having an issue with the check_by_ssh plugin and was wondering if
> someone could lend a hand.  I have compiled and installed both NAGIOS
> version  2.5 and the nagios-plugins 1.4.4 on EL4.
>
> When trying to execute the check_by_ssh_plugin  and telling it to run just
> a basic file listing command on a HPUX 11.11 host I receive the following
> error:
>
> ./check_by_ssh -v -H 10.1.9.21 -t 60 -n hpux2 -C '/usr/bin/ll /tmp'
> /usr/bin/ssh 10.1.9.21 '/usr/bin/ll /tmp'

Are you absolutely sure that "/usr/bin/ll" exists on hpux?
On fedora core 5, "ll" is an alias for "/bin/ls -l --color=tty -F".

Try running

/usr/bin/ssh 10.1.9.21 'ls /tmp'

I can guarantee you that "ls" exists and is in the path. Not even HP-UX
diverges from that convention.

> Remote command execution failed:
>
> However If I just cut and past the verbose output from the command calling
> ssh directly I have no problems:
>
> /usr/bin/ssh 10.1.9.21 '/usr/bin/ll /tmp'

Sounds very odd indeed. What happens if you do

	echo $?

after running the command manually? If it says anything other than "0"
(or possibly provides a long listing of /tmp), the command actually
failed to run, although you didn't get an error message, or the HP-UX
version of sshd didn't forward stderr to you.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se