nagios High Availability

Sjaak Nabuurs sjaaknabuurs at citytower.com
Wed Jan 10 01:40:14 CET 2007

Hello

I've a question from a customer to setup a nagios monitoring system.and
use nagios for SLA, I have to write a reporting script
My big concern is how much I'm up.
How do you guys garantee nagios system is 101% up.

There are 2 ways to do this I think.
1) running 2 nagios systems with a distributed file system syncing the
/var/ dir for SLA reporting.
   Check if nagios 1 is running  if not nagios 2 starts.
   Problem with this system is that you need always 2 IP's in all
clients firewall and other configs like nrpe.
   A pro is that you can run nagios for 2 totaly different locations.

2) Run nagios on a HA system, but I don't know what kind of system to
use for nagios.
     I'm looking for a system with 2 servers and 1 nagios system is
running on those 2 servers.
    Plugin server 3 and shutdown server 1 or 2 and nagios is still running.
    Server must in this case melting together in cpu, memory and disk.
    Is this posible !!!!!

Please if somebody can give me advice on this.

Thanks a lott

Sjaak