[Nagios-users] external commands and segfault -- again

bobi at netshel.net bobi at netshel.net
Mon Jan 8 18:55:43 CET 2007

Hey Fellow Nagios-ites:

I've been having this *exact* same segfault problem for the last couple o'
months.

And, after looking at David's stack trace output, it is segfaulting for
him in the exact same way/place as it is for me.

Here's what I've found:

The core dump's that I've examined are all segfaulting when handling the
expiration of a scheduled downtime.

Since David's stack trace looks identical to mine, I don't think it is in
the external command processing, as he believes, but it is in the downtime
expiration handling, as well.

Having examined about a dozen of these identical core dumps, I see that it
is a corruption of the entire sheduled_downtime structure that is being
passed into the handled_scheduled_downtime() function.

The handled_scheduled_downtime() function is being invoked by the high
priority event processing logic in the event_execution_loop().  So it
pulls a EVENT_SCHEDULED_DOWNTIME timed_event structure off of the high
priority event list, and then hands it to handle_timed_event(), which in
turns invoke the handle_scheduled_downtime() routine to handle the
expiration of the specified downtime event.

The problem is, the scheduled_downtime structure is already corrupted
while sitting in the high_priority list - well before it is dequeued by
the event_execution_loop() logic.

I've walked the high priority list in memory with gdb to examine other
timed_event structures and have noticed that only the scheduled_downtime
structure associated with EVENT_SCHEDULED_DOWNTIME timed events are
affected by the memory corruption.  In fact, one time, I found nine
scheduled downtime expiration event sequentially listed in the high
priority list and the first three had their scheduled_downtime structures
corrupted and the remaining six were in pristine condition.

So, I've narrowed it down to a couple of possibilities (feel free to add
your own!):

1. The scheduled_downtime structure is already corrupted when it is being
added to the high priority timed event scheduling list, or

2. The scheduled_downtime structure is OK when it is added to the high
priority list, but perhaps a bad pointer access is overwriting it with
garbage at some other point in the program.  This would might be somewhat
painful to track down.

Of the two, I suspect that the second one is the more likely candidate.

Some other notes:

1. The timed event expirations that segfault Nagios seem to be "randomly"
chosen.

We have some regularly submitted (via cron) scheduled downtimes that will
work fine for weeks, and then one of them will come up for expiration and
trigger this scheduled-downtime-expiration bug.  I've also seen it happen
with ad-hoc scheduled downtime submissions via the CGI interface.

I've seen it happen with "regular" scheduled downtimes as well as the new
"triggered" scheduled downtime.  We thought it might have been related to
the new triggered downtime, since that was one of the first events causing
a segfault.  But then after eliminating the use of triggered downtimes
altogether, the segfaults still occur with the regular scheduled downtime
expirations.

2. I've had this problem with Nagios 2.4, 2.5 and 2.6.  So, "upgrading"
hasn't gotten rid of it.

3. We are currently running Nagios 2.6 on a 64-bit Linux platform: SLES-9
x86-64, Kernel 2.6.5-7.267-smp

4. We don't have any other segfault problems with other other apps on this
system.

So I'm still trying figure out *what* is overwriting the
scheduled_downtime structures with garbage in memory.

Any ideas, based upon this additional information?

Thanks,
Bob