Nagios Timezone

Israel Brewster israel at frontierflying.com
Sat Jan 6 23:29:45 CET 2007

On Jan 6, 2007, at 12:31 AM, Hugo van der Kooij wrote:

>>> That is NOT a valid TZ variable. If you take a minute you can use
>>> your
>>> favorite search engine and actually find the documentation on the TZ
>>> variable.
>>>
>>> Like: http://www.gnu.org/software/libc/manual/html_node/TZ-
>>> Variable.html
>>
>> Do you mean that he's leaving the leading ':' off or something else?
>> I've never seen that cause a problem...
>
> Well I have seen plenty of cases where this format is not
> supported. It
> only works if all the files are present to translate this format.
> (They do
> not fit in embedded Linux for example.)
>
> So to be safe one does not rely on this tree and uses the explicit
> definition

Thanks, that's exactly what I needed to make it work. Although the
Timezone files did exist on my system, attempting to use them in the
TZ variable didn't work, as mentioned before. Using the explicit
definition, however, once I managed to figure out what to enter for
it, produced the desired result, with one caviat: I had to put AKST+9
rather than AKST-9, even though our offset is -9, not +9. Worked
though, so I suppose in the long run it doesn't really matter :) Now
I just have to figure out how to set that environment variable before
Apache is launched at start up, since the rc.conf file that I edited
to enable Apache on startup doesn't actually include the command line
used to launch Apache-just the flags used when launching. I'm sure
one of my coworkers will know that one though. Thanks for the
assistance!
Israel Brewster
Computer Support Technician
Frontier Flying Service INC.