parent/child setup not working

Hendrik Bäcker andurin at process-zero.de
Sat Jan 6 14:04:44 CET 2007

David Miller schrieb:
> Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
>> If I understand it right, your host checks should not be scheduled -
>> but your service checks are.
>> So, every time a service requires checking and Nagios finds the
>> service is down, it checks the host to see if the host is down.  If it
>> is, then it suppresses notifications for the service and instead goes
>> into the host's notification handling.
Full ack!
> That makes some sense - all the hosts with host checks don't send
> unwanted notices.
So I guess that these host without host_checks enabled gave you some
trouble?

> I'm still missing something though - unless the design is that:
>
> host checks aren't executed if the parent is down, but if no host check
> is specified the host is still presumed up.
Half of truth.

Your wanted thing is called "Network Outage". This is done by setting
parents and grandparents in the kind of the way that your nagios can
reach each host. I think, you are getting this right but:

Nagios 2 only checks services, let us say, every 5 minutes. If only
one of 'x' services on a host returns with a non-OK state nagios will
try to check if the host is reachable via the host-check-command, if
given. If you don't set a host-check-command, nagios will never try
this and you are getting a service alert.

AFAIK, if you want to get a message like "Host Abraham is unreachable"
(cause your parent host "pix" is down) you have to enable host checks
on Abraham and your Host "pix".

Network Outage detection relies on host checks.
So: no host checks, no outage detection.

> and
>
> service checks are performed as long as the host is known or presumed to
> be up.
Service checks are performed as long as your nagios process is running
and the service check timeperiod is active.
AFAIK nagios tries to check a service even if it knows that the host
is down, the only difference between host is up or down is, that you
will receive x service alerts if x services are non-OK or just one
host alert.

I think your logic failure is the "way" that you are thinking how
nagios works.

Don't think on a checking way like this:

Parent Host --> Host --> Service

It is more like this:

Service --> Host --> Parent

Nagios intelligence is that it suppress notifications not the service
checks.

Hope that helps.

Regards,
Hendrik