ANNOUNCE: Nagios Looking Glass 1.0.0#PRE is here!

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 3 12:16:35 CET 2007

Andy Shellam (Mailing Lists) wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Thanks for your description below but I'm still struggling to come to
> terms with how NLG can be used to attack another site.
> Firstly, my understanding of an XSS attack is of the following:
>
> - Client requests a page (eg. www.yahoo.com)
> - Hacker strips the response packets off the wire and replaces them with
> packets that have come from (eg. www.google.co.uk)
> - Client receives www.google.co.uk as a result of hacker's actions

That's a MITM (Man/Monkey In The Middle) attack. XSS is when your
browser is fooled to request data from a server but thinks it's
requesting it from a place it trusts. No browser can protect itself
against MITM (barring encryption ofc, which doesn't work if the monkey
holds the key). Securing layer 2 and 3 of network communication is the
job of the kernel.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se