Performance issues, too

Andreas Ericsson ae at op5.se
Wed Jan 3 11:57:17 CET 2007

Robert Hajime Lanning wrote:
> <quote who="Daniel Meyer">
>> Just rechecked. After 72 hours nagios still runs perfectly
>> with an average service check latency of 0.3 seconds, max.
>> 0.9 seconds.
>>
>> Memory usage is perfectly "flat" now, with epn and perlcache
>> it went from 140 mb (whole system) to about 900 mb within 24h.
>>
>> The average system load is a bit _lower_ than before, but some
>> peaks higher than with epn/perlcache.
>>
>> I'll try pure epn without perlcache first thing in january.
>
> The main reason for me to use ePN with perlcache, is to get
> around the huge load of loading all the MIBs for each SNMP
> query.  (Since 90% of my services are SNMP queries.)  I was
> looking for a way to load the MIB tree once, and found I could
> do it in p1.pl.

If you use SNMP oid's rather than their "human-readable" mib-names, you
don't need to load a single mib. It is indeed a much simpler solution.

> For traps, I run snmptrapd (from net-snmp) and have just recently
> found it has a memory leak.  Over the course of 20 days, it grew
> from 5MB to 140MB.  It runs snmptthandler, which is actually a C
> program (I ported the Perl version to reduce the load during trap
> floods).
>
> snmptt has a big memory leak.  I restart it every 6 hours.
>
> This seems to be pointing to the net-snmp libraries.
>
> Though, I don't get why it would really effect the nagios master
> process.  Since all the calls to the SNMP module are run in a
> subprocess, other than the initialization that I put into p1.pl.
> Unless p1.pl is executed more than once.

strace -e open ./nagios <config-file> 2>&1 | grep p1.pl

will tell you, although strace might not be included in the tool-box
shipped with your system.

> Back when I had about 200 service checks, my load was about 1.5.
> Then I enabled ePN with perlcache and stuck in the "use SNMP"
> with the preload of the MIBs.  Load went down to 0.3.  But, as
> I added services, most SNMP, this issue showed up.

Try without perlcache, and try with OID's and without your p1.pl hack.

Andreas Ericsson                   andreas.ericsson at op5.se