popen timeout received, but no child process

Ton Voon ton.voon at altinity.com
Wed Jan 3 10:41:12 CET 2007

Mike,

As you correctly found, slow name resolution is one possible problem
of the popen error. Jay, please try the CVS snapshot at http://
nagiosplug.sf.net/snapshot as this has reduced the number of
getaddrinfo calls that are made.

Ton

On 2 Jan 2007, at 19:53, Mike Holloway wrote:

> You might try compiling check_ping --without-ipv6, that solved a
> different problem for me that I was experiencing with check_ping.
> Also have a read of this thread:
>
> https://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/message.php?msg_id=14887381
>
> "it had to do with the ipv6 host check, where it
> would check whether or not the host is an IPv6 address, by calling a
> getaddrinfo(), and that would take long enough that SIGALRM would be
> tripped, and child_process was NULL at that point."
>

> -mike
>

> On Jan 2, 2007, at 1:15 PM, Jay Chandler wrote:
>
>> My apologies if this has already been discussed here-- a cursory
>> search
>> of the archives didn't turn up much.
>>
>> The issue is discussed at
>> http://www.meulie.net/portal_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?
>> 7842.last
>> and my installation started throwing this error a couple hours ago
>> after
>> a few weeks of trouble free running.  I restarted the Nagios
>> service and
>> haven't had a recurrance since, but has anyone else experienced this?
>> The OS is FreeBSD 6.1 with Nagios installed from the ports tree.
>>
>> Thanks very much in advance-- any other information I can provide,
>> will be!
>>
>> --
>> Jay Chandler
>> Network Administrator, Chapman University
>> 714.628.7249 / chandler at chapman.edu
>> Today's Excuse: The co-locator cannot verify the frame-relay
>> gateway to the ISDN server.

>> -
>> ---
>> Join SourceForge.net's Techsay panel and you'll get the chance to
>> share your
>> opinions on IT & business topics through brief surveys - and earn
>> cash
>> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?
>> page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
>> reporting any issue.
>> ::: Messages without supporting info will risk being sent to /dev/
>> null

> ---
> share your
> http://www.techsay.com/default.php?
> page=join.php&p=sourceforge&CID=DEVDEV
> reporting any issue.
>

> This message has been scanned for viruses by MailController -
> www.MailController.altohiway.com

http://www.altinity.com
T: +44 (0)870 787 9243
F: +44 (0)845 280 1725