Performance issues, too1

Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au Stanley.Hopcroft at Dest.gov.au
Tue Jan 2 23:15:37 CET 2007

Dear Sir,

I am writing to thank you for your letter and say,

Context is massive memory leak with ePN. Leak goes when ePN is removed.

Firstly, look at the caveats for ePN at
http://nagios.sourceforge.net/docs/2_0/embeddedperl.html

There should be added another major caveat to this: depending on your
plugins you may have a
bigger or smaller leak, however leak it will.

For me, I wouldn't consider Nagios without ePN since I code most of my
plugins in Perl and the advantages
for me (and this installation) outweigh the leak.

Finally about the meaning of the configure switches for ePN.

1 --enable-embedded-perl

This builds Perl into the Nagios executable and at the least means that
your system does
__not__ fork a new process to run Perl plugins. Instead, Perl is parsed
and run by direct
calls to the Nagios binary.

So, setting this switch saves a context switch.

2 --with-perl-cache

If in addition, this switch is set, the Perl plugin is compiled only
once (otherwise, each time
Nagios goes to run a Perl plugin, it recompiles it). The resultant Perl
op code tree remains in
memory.

Unfortuntaely, for reasons that are not clear to me, this is the source
of the leak.

> Danny
> --

Yours sincerely.